Please note that due to COVID-19, there are currently no tours being held at Government House.
The tours are led by the Governor’s husband, Mr Anthony Howard AM QC, a former County Court Judge, or a senior Government House staff. They offer a unique insight into the constitutional, ceremonial, international and community engagement duties of the Governor.
About the Government House Tour
- Tours are offered on Monday afternoons at 2.30 - 3.45pm, or Tuesday mornings at 10am - 11.15am
- The tour consists of a 60-minute tour of the State Apartments followed by a 15-minute Q&A session and refreshments
- Government House tours are free
- For school groups, the tours are best suited to secondary students in Year 9 and above
- Students must be accompanied by, and under the direct supervision, of their teacher/s
- Visitors need to pass through a security checkpoint and bag inspection before entering
- Minimum group size: 15
- Maximum group size: 30
- Advance bookings are essential
- For security purposes, bags are not permitted inside the House. Bags and backpacks will be stored in a safe location within the grounds.
Book a tour
In your email, please include:
- Name of school or community group
- Year level and number of students (for school groups)
- Preferred tour dates (please provide a range of dates)
Where we are
Check the Metro Tunnel website for transport disruptions as part of the tunnel works.
You are encouraged to take public transport:
To walk: Government House (Government House Drive) is about a 15-20 minute walk
To tram: You can take the St Kilda Rd/Coventry St tram - routes 3/3a, 5, 6, 16, 64, 67 and 72 - and get off at the Grant Street - Police Memorial stop. It is then a further five-minute walk.
There is metered parking on Linlithgow and Birdwood Avenues, but there may be limited availability.
Contact Deborah Nicolson:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (03) 9655 4269