The tours are led by the Governor’s husband, Mr Anthony Howard AM QC, a former County Court Judge, or a senior member of the Government House staff. They offer a unique insight into the constitutional, ceremonial, international and community engagement duties of the Governor.
About the Government House Tour
- Tours are offered on Tuesday and Friday mornings at 10.00am - 11.15am
- Tours are 1 hour and 15 minutes in length, with opportunity for Q&A throughout
- Government House tours are free
- For school groups, the tours are best suited to secondary students in Year 9 and above
- Students must be accompanied by, and under the direct supervision, of their teacher/s
- Visitors need to pass through a security checkpoint and bag inspection before entering
- Minimum group size: 15
- Maximum group size: 25
- Advance bookings are essential
- For security purposes, bags are not permitted inside the House. Bags and backpacks will be stored in a safe location within the grounds.
The Office of the Governor is committed to hosting COVID-safe events. To view our COVID-safe policies, please visit this page.
Book a tour
In your email, please include:
- Name of school or community group
- Year level and number of students (for school groups)
- Preferred tour dates (please provide a range of dates)
Governor in Schools Program
The Governor in Schools Program provides an opportunity for students to learn about the role of the Governor in our democracy.
One of the ongoing priorities of the Governor and Mr Howard is to facilitate an understanding of the role of the Governor, particularly among young people. The Governor and Mr Howard regularly welcome school groups to Government House Victoria, where they are given an opportunity to tour the State Apartments, learn about the Governor’s role in our democracy, and ask questions. The Governor and Mr Howard also visit schools across our community as part of their regular ongoing program.
Recognising that not all schools are able to travel to Government House, the Governor in Schools Program was created to allow students in all regions of Victoria the opportunity to meet the Governor and Mr Howard and to learn about the role the Governor plays in our democracy and system of government. The program is aimed at students currently studying subjects such as Civics and Citizenship, VCE Australian and Global Politics and VCE Legal Studies. The program is also aimed at those students undertaking roles in student leadership - specifically for student leaders, such as school and house captains. Facilitated through video conferencing, each group spends approximately thirty minutes speaking with and asking questions of the Governor and Mr Howard.
If you would like your school to be involved in the Governor in School’s Program, please contact Deborah Nicolson via email email@example.com
Where we are
Check the Metro Tunnel website for transport disruptions as part of the tunnel works.
You are encouraged to take public transport:
To walk: Government House (Government House Drive) is about a 15-20 minute walk
To tram: You can take the St Kilda Rd/Coventry St tram - routes 3/3a, 5, 6, 16, 64, 67 and 72 - and get off at the Grant Street - Police Memorial stop. It is then a further five-minute walk.
There is metered parking on Linlithgow and Birdwood Avenues, but there may be limited availability.
Contact Deborah Nicolson:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (03) 9655 4269