What the tour includes
The tour, which is led by the National Trust, starts at Government House with the meeting point at the Front Gate, Government House Drive.
The tour of Government House includes the Ballroom, State Dining Room, State Drawing Room, and the Billiard Room.
Entrance fees are collected and used by the National Trust to maintain La Trobe’s Cottage.
Book a tour
Tours of Government House are held on the first Monday of every month from 11am until 12noon.
You need to book at least two weeks ahead.
For availability, please email National Trust at: email@example.com.
Tours depart from the gates at Government House (Government House Drive) at 10:00am. Please arrive by 9.45am to allow time for security checks.
On the day of the tour
- Bring photo ID (for example a passport, drivers licence or student ID)
- COVID-19 vaccination certificate must be shown on arrival prior to admittance to the Grounds.
- Entry will involve passing through a security checkpoint and inspection of bags at Government House
- Wear casual clothes with sensible footwear.
- Still photographs may be taken, however video is not permitted.
Metro Tunnel disruptions
Check the Metro Tunnel website for transport disruptions as part of the tunnel works.
You are encouraged to take public transport.
From Flinders Street Station:
- To walk: Government House (Government House Drive) is about a 15-20 minute walk
- To tram: You can take the St Kilda Rd/Coventry St tram - routes 3/3a, 5, 6,16, 64, 67 and 72 - and get off at the Grant Street - Police Memorial stop. It is then a further five-minute walk.
There is metered parking on Linlithgow and Birdwood Avenues, but there may be limited availability.
Cancellation of tour
Tours may be cancelled for operational reasons. If this occurs, the National Trust will give you as much notice as possible.
Visit the National Trust of Australia website.