What the tour includes
The tour, which is led by the National Trust, starts at Government House with the meeting point at the Front Gate, Government House Drive.
The tour of Government House includes the Ballroom, State Dining Room, State Drawing Room, the Old Kitchen and the Billiard Room.
Entrance fees are collected and used by the National Trust to maintain La Trobe’s Cottage.
Book a tour
From October tours will run on the first Monday of the Month, beginning at 10am at Government House followed by a tour of La Trobe’s Cottage, the original home of Victoria’s first Lieutenant-Governor, Charles Joseph La Trobe. The tour will conclude around 12 noon.
To book, visit the event webpage.
Tours depart from the gates at Government House (Government House Drive) at 11:00am. Please arrive by 10.45am to allow time for security checks.
On the day of the tour
- Bring photo ID (for example a passport, drivers licence or student ID)
- Entry will involve passing through a security checkpoint and inspection of bags at Government House
- Wear casual clothes with sensible footwear.
- Still photographs may be taken, however video is not permitted.
Metro Tunnel disruptions
Check the Metro Tunnel website for transport disruptions as part of the tunnel works.
You are encouraged to take public transport.
From Flinders Street Station:
- To walk: Government House (Government House Drive) is about a 15-20 minute walk
- To tram: You can take the St Kilda Rd/Coventry St tram - routes 3/3a, 5, 6,16, 64, 67 and 72 - and get off at the Grant Street - Police Memorial stop. It is then a further five-minute walk.
There is metered parking on Linlithgow and Birdwood Avenues, but there may be limited availability.
Cancellation of tour
Tours may be cancelled for operational reasons. If this occurs, the National Trust will give you as much notice as possible.
Visit the National Trust of Australia website.